Tuesday, November 24, 2009

An Apple for the Teacher - May 2007

This is an apple cake I made for Cara's 2nd grade teacher's birthday.  I made apple cupcakes for her (and the students :) ) as well.

Teacher's Apple Cake with Books and Worm

Teacher's Apple Cake - Close-up of Leaf and StemTeacher's Apple Cake - Close-up of Worm
Teacher's Apple Cake - Close-up of Book Pages
Teacher's Apple Cake - Close-up of Book
Teacher's Apple Cake - Close-up of Books
Teacher's Mini Apple Cupcakes
Teacher's Mini Apple Cupcakes with Bigger Apple Cupcake
Teacher's Mini Apple Cupcakes and Apple Cake Together
Everything on this cake is edible.  I baked the cake using a ball pan.  After it cooled I stacked the halves with buttercream in between and carved the cake a little on the bottom half and where the stem would be to make it a bit more apple shaped.  Then I crumb coated the cake and let it set for a little while.  After the crumb coating was set I iced it with red tinted buttercream icing.  I made the stem, leaf, worm, and books all out of fondant.  I used food coloring to paint on the details for the worm and books.

I wasn't sure if she was going to serve the cake at school or take it home, so I made the little apple cupcakes so the class could have a taste and celebrate with her.  The little ones were baked in a mini muffin tin; then I made the bigger apple cupcake for the teacher baked in the bottom of a glass measuring cup.  After they cooled I just piped the tops with buttercream to make them look like the tops of apples.

My sister, Casandra, had told me about a cake contest that Woman's Day magazine was having, and so I entered some of the cakes that I had made, including this one.  They had about 600 entries and none of mine won, but this apple cake was included in a slideshow on the Woman's Day website along with about 67 other cakes that they said were some of their favorites.  So, I thought that was pretty cool.  :)

Chocolate Drool and Kisses
-----------------------------------------------------------
Parties I've linked this post to:
Somewhat Simple  
KitchenFunTuesday To Do PartyChocolate Drool and Kisses

8 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! You are amazing! So cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin - Thanks! :) I found your site and it is really cute! I look forward to browsing it more and doing some of the stuff with my kiddos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. SJ - Thanks! :) I will definitely share on your blog party, thanks for the invite! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful cake. I will have to stay a while and check over your past posts. I love cake decorating.New follower stopping by from the Creative Blogger hop. Hope you stop by for a visit.
    http://grandmabonniescloset.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grandma Bonnie - Thanks! Glad to have you here. :) I saw your site, it is really neat, and your grandkids are precious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! You came! Really appreciate you linking up this fantastic post at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop. Hope you'll continually share your creativity with us at the weekly party :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. SJ - I will definitely link up more in the future, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jami - Thanks for stopping by and for hosting a great linky party every week!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...