Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The Pigeon Helps Make a Birthday Cake - November 2012

I made this Mo Willems themed cake for my daughter, Carissa, for her 8th birthday.  Mo Willems is one of her favorite authors so she decided to have a Mo Willems themed party.  She picked 8 different characters that she would want as part of the party [she decided 8 would be good since she was turning 8 :) ].

Mo Willems Themed Cake 1 - The Pigeon, The Duckling, Elephant, Piggie, Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Naked Mole Rat, Knuffle Bunny, the Mice

Mo Willems Themed Cake 2 - The Pigeon, The Duckling, Elephant, Piggie, Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Naked Mole Rat, Knuffle Bunny, the Mice

The characters were made out of fondant.  I rolled it fairly thin and let it dry a bit.  (This just made it a little easier to draw on; the marker wouldn't stick or drag so much as it would on fresh soft fondant.)  Then I drew the characters with a black food coloring marker. I used a small paring knife to cut the characters out, and then I painted them with food coloring.  I went over the outline with the food coloring marker on any places that needed it.  I attached lollipop sticks (maybe toothpicks on some) to the backs of the characters using fondant and water.

More pictures and details to come... :)

[Right now I'm just trying to get everything on the blog, then I'll go back and fill in details; you can read a little longer explanation here if you want. BUT if you have any questions in the meantime, in general or about this cake, please feel free to email me by clicking on the 'Contact Me' tab at the top of the page and using the email address found there, and I will try to get back with you as soon as possible. Or you can always ask questions or leave a comment about this cake by clicking the comments link at the end of this post. :)]
Andrea - Animated Name


(I created my animated name at this site.)

4 comments:

  1. So cute! You really should do a special post with all her party decorations and the activities and the letter and everything. Not cake stuff, but really special. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valerie - Thank you! :) Yeah, I've thought about having a section of the blog or a sister blog about the party aspect of it. Hopefully at some point I'll get there, but I guess I should get this blog where it needs to be first. :) Thanks! :)

      Delete
  2. I am using your cake as an inspiration for my daughter's Mo Willems themed birthday cake! But...how did you make the characters?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea (nice name ;) )! Thanks for the question! I updated the post to include some basic details about the characters. I'm glad the cake inspired you. :) Hope everything goes wonderfully for your daughter's cake! If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...