Thursday, January 7, 2010

A Long Time Ago in a Galaxy Far, Far Away - June 2007

I made this cake for my brother-in-law, Josh's, birthday. (It was at the same party as Valerie's Wizard of Oz cake - see the I've a Feeling We're Not in Kansas Anymore post).  He likes Star Wars a lot, so I thought this would be good for him.  One of the bigger surprises for him was that this cake was made all out of cheesecake, which is his favorite.

Star Wars 3D R2-D2 Cake 1
Star Wars 3D R2-D2 Cake - Side View

Star Wars 3D R2-D2 Cake - Overhead View
Star Wars 3D R2-D2 Cake - Close-up of Dome

Star Wars 3D R2-D2 Cake - Side View Close-up of Holoprojector

Star Wars 3D R2-D2 Cake 2
To make this cake I just followed a cheesecake recipe and lined the pans I needed with parchment paper.  I used three 6 inch round pans and 1 half of a ball pan.  Before I stacked the cakes I covered one of the empty 6 inch pans with foil and put it on the board upside down.  Then I stacked the cakes on top of the pan.  That way when I put the legs and feet on it would give the feeling of empty space below R2-D2's body, since in the movie he is suspended in the air from his legs.  I just used classic white icing (tinted when needed) to ice and decorate it.

The legs and feet I shaped out of foam core board, covered with foil, and iced along with the rest of the cake.  For the blue and red lights (Logic Display and PSI) on R2-D2's dome I cut pieces of foil into the right shapes and then just painted over them with food coloring gel.  It gave it that reflective shiny look while still having the appropriate color (just remember to remove them before you serve the cake :) ).  The brown hoses on the feet are made out of fondant.  With it being made all out of cheesecake this cake was heavy, you would have thought you were picking up a real metal droid!  :)

Star Wars 3D R2-D2 Cake - Legs and Feet Before Covered and Iced
(The legs and feet before they were covered and iced.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...