This is the 4-wheeler themed groom's cake that I made when my sister, Casandra, and my now brother-in-law, Joe, got married.
My sister, Valerie, took the picture below - thanks! :)
The story behind the cake is: Joe had been riding 4-wheelers for quite sometime. When Casandra started dating Joe she joined in too and really enjoyed it. When they were making wedding plans Casandra came across a wedding cake topper online that had the bride trying to pull the groom away from his 4-wheeler. She laughed and showed it to Joe. He said 'You'd never pull me off my 4-wheeler' and Casandra said 'Only so I could have a turn'. Then she thought that it would make a cute cake to have it with a little sign above her talking about wanting a turn riding the 4-wheeler. They decided they wanted the topper on a tabletop jump with a logo that Joe and his two friends had created on the side of the jump. Now to find someone to make it... :)
So, they asked me if I could make the cake for them. I was honored that they asked me, but since I was one of the matrons of honor, Ronnie was singing in the wedding, Cara and Carissa were flower girls, and Caleb was the ring bearer, I was hesitant because I didn't think I would be able to do it well within the time constraints or, you know, without going crazy. :) I actually told them I didn't think I could, but then my mom and I came up with me making a dummy cake that would look like what they wanted, and then they would just order a sheet cake or two from somewhere to actually serve. It was still a bit crazy getting it done, but at least I was able to work on it a larger span ahead of time without worrying about having to keep the cake fresh, remember I'm still a beginner too. :)
So what would be the cake is actually styrofoam. I took a long piece of styrofoam (I think it was originally 4"x12"x36") and cut it at a few inches more than half. I stacked the two pieces and adhered them so I could carve the shape of the tabletop jump. Now, why I started carving on the approach side of the jump (having never worked with styrofoam before) instead of starting on one of the other sides, I don't know. I ended up making the approach too steep and there wasn't much I could do about it :( . I could go into a long explanation of different options at that point and why I did or didn't do them... but I won't :) , let's just say 'on I went'. :) I finished carving the shape of the jump and adhered the jump to the foam core base board.
The next thing I did was cover everything with brown fondant. (Normally I would put a layer of icing on before fondanting, but since it was styrofoam and no one would be eating it I just used water on the styrofoam to help it stick.) Now I had NEVER come even close to covering anything that large with fondant, so, needless to say I underestimated how much I would need. So, I decided to just put the fondant on in pieces and then just smooth the seams together... that didn't work. :) I mean it went on in pieces, but it didn't exactly smooth together like I thought it would. So, I thought 'it looks fine with some seams, it's dirt after all, it kind of looks like cracked earth... muddy :) Right... right... '. Okay, we'll come back to that later. :)
For the bride and groom topper I covered the white base of it with brown fondant to match the dirt so that when I put it on the cake it would look cohesive, like they were standing on the dirt instead of just a topper stuck on the cake. I had to wait to sprinkle the dirt on though because I wasn't actually putting the topper on until I got to the church.
I made the caption out of fondant, painted the words 'Come On, It's My Turn' with black food coloring, and hit the edge with some gray to make it stand out more. I wanted the caption to be part of the topper, not stuck into the cake. I wanted it to look as inconspicuous as possible so I decided to run a wire holding the caption up along one of the creases of the bride's dress on the back of the topper. Now I needed a wire that would do this. I needed it to be thin, flexible, but sturdy enough to hold up the caption. This proved more difficult than first thought, but after trying different things I came up with stripping the plastic coating off of a twist tie. This left me with a thin, but somewhat stiff, wire. I ended up using 4 of them and twisting them together to make them sturdy enough to hold up the fondant caption without bending. Now since the topper was made of plastic I couldn't just stick the wire into the topper. So to actually secure it I put a thin bit of white fondant up along the bottom part of the crease. Then I ran the wires up along that crease and covered the bottom part of them in white fondant. This little bit of fondant at the bottom inch of the wires was enough to secure it to the topper.
Once I got to the church I set the cake on it's table and positioned the 4-wheeler topper and the bride and groom topper in their places on the cake. I tried to get the bride and groom as flat with the top of the cake as possible, then I wet the brown fondant covering the base of the topper and sprinkled the dirt crumbs over it. Voila!
Joe and Casandra had taken a picture of them acting out what the cake topper was going to be with Joe's 4-wheeler, and they placed that near the cake. It was cute. I suggested beforehand that they also put a picture each of them riding so that people could actually see that it is something Casandra enjoys too. So those pictures were near the cake as well with their names written on the pictures.
Their wedding was beautiful! I was really pleased that they liked the 'cake' and were really excited about it [even with the jump approach too steep; which, yes, he did notice, but was gracious and liked the cake just as well :) ]. Another good thing about it was that since it was made from styrofoam they were able to keep it and use it at another reception that they were given a couple weeks later out where Joe's family lives.