Tuesday, November 24, 2009

An Apple for the Teacher - May 2007

This is an apple cake I made for Cara's 2nd grade teacher's birthday.  I made apple cupcakes for her (and the students :) ) as well.

Teacher's Apple Cake with Books and Worm

Teacher's Apple Cake - Close-up of Leaf and StemTeacher's Apple Cake - Close-up of Worm
Teacher's Apple Cake - Close-up of Book Pages
Teacher's Apple Cake - Close-up of Book
Teacher's Apple Cake - Close-up of Books
Teacher's Mini Apple Cupcakes
Teacher's Mini Apple Cupcakes with Bigger Apple Cupcake
Teacher's Mini Apple Cupcakes and Apple Cake Together
Everything on this cake is edible.  I baked the cake using a ball pan.  After it cooled I stacked the halves with buttercream in between and carved the cake a little on the bottom half and where the stem would be to make it a bit more apple shaped.  Then I crumb coated the cake and let it set for a little while.  After the crumb coating was set I iced it with red tinted buttercream icing.  I made the stem, leaf, worm, and books all out of fondant.  I used food coloring to paint on the details for the worm and books.

I wasn't sure if she was going to serve the cake at school or take it home, so I made the little apple cupcakes so the class could have a taste and celebrate with her.  The little ones were baked in a mini muffin tin; then I made the bigger apple cupcake for the teacher baked in the bottom of a glass measuring cup.  After they cooled I just piped the tops with buttercream to make them look like the tops of apples.

My sister, Casandra, had told me about a cake contest that Woman's Day magazine was having, and so I entered some of the cakes that I had made, including this one.  They had about 600 entries and none of mine won, but this apple cake was included in a slideshow on the Woman's Day website along with about 67 other cakes that they said were some of their favorites.  So, I thought that was pretty cool.  :)

Chocolate Drool and Kisses
-----------------------------------------------------------
Parties I've linked this post to:
Somewhat Simple  
KitchenFunTuesday To Do PartyChocolate Drool and Kisses

10 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! You are amazing! So cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin - Thanks! :) I found your site and it is really cute! I look forward to browsing it more and doing some of the stuff with my kiddos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, there! You've got so much creativity and I'm admiring them all. Can you share your creative posts at my Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop? Hope to see you there :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. SJ - Thanks! :) I will definitely share on your blog party, thanks for the invite! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful cake. I will have to stay a while and check over your past posts. I love cake decorating.New follower stopping by from the Creative Blogger hop. Hope you stop by for a visit.
    http://grandmabonniescloset.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grandma Bonnie - Thanks! Glad to have you here. :) I saw your site, it is really neat, and your grandkids are precious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! You came! Really appreciate you linking up this fantastic post at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop. Hope you'll continually share your creativity with us at the weekly party :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. SJ - I will definitely link up more in the future, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for linking up to the Tuesday To Do Party! Hope you'll come again this week! This month's Pretty Packages party is now up for any of your lovely wrapped gifts!
    http://blackberryvine.blogspot.com/2012/04/pretty-packages-party-14-highlights.html
    Smiles!
    Jami
    www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jami - Thanks for stopping by and for hosting a great linky party every week!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...