Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Tea for Two - May 2007

I made this 3D tea set cake for my mom for Mother's Day.

Tea Set Cake - Teapot, Teacups, Cookies, and Tea Bags 1

Tea Set Cake - Teapot, Teacups, Cookies, and Tea Bags 2
Tea Set Cake - Close-up of Teapot FlowersTea Set Cake - Close-up of 1st Teacup FlowersTea Set Cake - Close-up of 2nd Teacup FlowersTea Set Cake - Close-up of Teapot Spout
Tea Set Cake - Close-up of Cake Cookies
Tea Set Cake - Teapot and Teacups
Tea Set Cake - Teapot and Teacups - Overhead View
She didn't know I was making a cake for her, so when I carried it in she said that she thought I had brought a little toy tea set with us until I got closer.  Then she realized it was a cake.  That was pretty funny.

The teapot, teacups, and saucers are all cake.  I crumb coated them and then iced them with a top coat of buttercream icing.  I made the pink trim, handles, and spout out of fondant.  I piped the flowers on the teapot and teacups with buttercream icing.  I tried to use a paintbrush to pull some of the icing toward the middle of the petals and leaves to give it more of a painted look.  The 'tea' in the cups is buttercream icing tinted a tea-like color.  :)

The cookies on the tray are actually cake.  When I was cooling the little cakes for the teacups on the wire cooling racks the tops of the cakes had gotten little lines imprinted on them.  When I cut the tops off to make the shape for the teacups the cut off tops looked like a perfect little cookie.  I had purposely made a different set of cookies from cake, but when I saw how nice these looked I decided to use them instead.  :)  The tea bags are just regular tea bags of course, I didn't make those.  :)

My mom really loved the cake!  :)

-----------------------------------------------------------
Parties I've linked this post to:

Made by You Mondays - Skip to My Lou
  Chocolate Drool and Kisses

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...